- APPLICANTS ARE:
- Aged between 14 and 19
- A band, group or solo artist playing mainly original popular modern music of any genre
- Resident in the City of Lancaster district
THE PROCESS AND TIMELINE
- Applications are now closed.
- AUDITION & REVIEW: March
- We will review all applications submitted and select a maximum of TEN acts who will be invited to AUDITION at LIMELIGHT MUSIC STUDIOS in The Storey, Lancaster on Friday 29 and Saturday 30 March. Acts will be asked to perform one piece of original music. Performing to backing tracks will be permitted but note that the backing track must be of your own original music.
- All necessary backline equipment will be provided (full PA system with monitors; drumkit; guitar, bass and keyboard amps; keyboard; spare microphones). You will be required to bring your own microphones and instruments (guitars, bass, tech etc) necessary to personalise your performance.
- RPM ROCK PEOPLE MANAGEMENT will provide one-to-one feedback to all 10 auditioning acts about their application after the audition.
- Following the audition process we will select FOUR acts to progress to the mentoring stage with ONE reserve act placed on standby. We will inform all acts whether they have been successful or not by Sunday 7 April.
- MENTORING: April to July
- The FOUR selected acts will be MENTORED once a month on Friday evenings between April 26 and July 26 between 6pm and 9pm at LIMELIGHT MUSIC STUDIOS in The Storey, Lancaster. These THREE mentored rehearsal sessions will be aimed at preparing your act for stage performance and will cover subjects such as performance technique, stagecraft, vocal coaching, repertoire development and audience engagement.
- Please note that if acts fail to attend any of the mentoring sessions then we reserve the right to replace them with the standby reserve act.
- SELECTION CONCERT: September
- The 4 mentored acts will each perform a set at a CONCERT at a venue in Lancaster. Following this concert 1 act will be chosen to be mentored further to perform on the main stage in Lancaster Castle during LANCASTER MUSIC FESTIVAL.
- SELECTION CONCERT: September
- The FOUR mentored acts will each perform a 20-minute set of original pieces of music at a CONCERT at a venue in Lancaster. Following this concert ONE act will be chosen to be mentored further to perform on the main stage in Lancaster Castle during LANCASTER MUSIC FESTIVAL.
- All backline will be provided. Performing to backing tracks will be permitted but note that the backing tracks must be of your own original music.
- MENTORING: September/October
- The selected Star act will receive THREE further MENTORING sessions at LIMELIGHT MUSIC STUDIOS to prepare them for their performance at LANCASTER MUSIC FESTIVAL.
- LANCASTER MUSIC FESTIVAL: October 11-13
- The Star act will perform a 30-minute PAID GIG on the main stage in Lancaster Castle during LANCASTER MUSIC FESTIVAL on Saturday 12 or Sunday 13 October.
- The other THREE mentored finalists will also be offered 30-minute paid gigs on the Youth Stage in Market Square on Friday 11 October. We will also attempt to secure additional gigs for all FOUR acts at other festival venues where appropriate.
- WHAT NEXT?: October
- All FOUR mentored finalists will be invited to a mentoring session with local ARTIST MANAGEMENT company RPM ROCK PEOPLE MANAGEMENT. The session will take the form of a Q&A in which RPM’s Terri Chapman will talk about the business side of the music industry and recording, releasing and promoting your music.
LANCASTER MUSIC FESTIVAL is a Community Interest Company committed to promoting musicians and music venues in the Lancaster district and surrounding areas, primarily via its annual music festival in October.
LIMELIGHT MUSIC STUDIO, based in The Storey, Lancaster, is a music school that aims to prepare its students for stage performance and to provide them with all the tools they need for a career in the music business. Visit their website to find out about Neil and Victoria’s background.
ROCK PEOPLE MANAGEMENT is a Morecambe-based company providing hands on artist management for national and international artists in the rock industry. They have extensive first-hand experience planning, recording, promoting and releasing music to the public. Their roster of artists includes local rock band Massive Wagons whose album Full Nelson reached the top 20 in the UK album charts in 2018. Visit their website for more information.
THE BANKS LYON MEMORIAL TRUST has kindly sponsored this project and benefits residents in Lancaster and in particular young people and their trades education.
Limelight Music Studio and The Storey are fully accessible and wheelchair friendly.